Magnesium alloy as a structural material because of its small specific gravity, high specific strength and stiffness, good thermal and electrical conductivity, good machinability, excellent damping and electromagnetic shielding, easy to process forming and recycling, so widely used in automotive, electronics, communications and other industries, known as the “21st-century green engineering materials”, die-casting is the primary magnesium alloy, the most widely used The forming process.
Today, I will take you from those aspects to understand Magnesium die casting.
Table of Contents
The advantages of die casting magnesium alloy
Magnesium alloy liquid viscosity is low, has good fluidity, and can easily fill a complex cavity. Magnesium alloy can quickly produce a wall thickness of 1.0mm ~ 2.0mm die casting, now the minimum wall thickness up to 0.6mm.
Magnesium alloy has good thermal conductivity and metal electromagnetic type of protection performance, more suitable than other alloys to do electronic industrial products.
1. Light mass, higher than the stiffness, strength
The density of magnesium alloy is 1.74g/cm3, only equivalent to 25% of cast iron, and about 64% of aluminium alloy is the lightest material in the existing commonly used metal. Magnesium alloy is widely used in portable apparatus and the automobile industry to achieve the purpose of lightweight.
2. The material is recyclable.
3. Sound insulation and vibration damping are good.
4. High purity magnesium alloy is not easy to corrosion.
Die casting magnesium alloys can be divided into four series according to their composition
Die-casting magnesium alloys can be divided into four series according to their composition.
AZ(Mg-AL-Zn) series (AZ91), AM(Mg-AL-Mn) series (AM60, AM50), AS(Mg-A1-Si series (AS41, AS21), AE(Mg-AL- RE) series (AEA2).
AZ series alloy AZ91 has good casting properties and the highest yield strength, and its die castings are widely used in many forms of parts such as automobile seats and gearbox housings.
AM series alloy AM50, AM60 has high elongation and toughness, used for impact load resistance, high safety occasions such as wheels, doors, etc.
AS series magnesium alloys AS41, AS21, and AE series AFA2 are heat-resistant die-casting magnesium alloys developed in the 1970s.
Magnesium alloy die-casting process method
Cold and hot chamber die-casting methods are widely used in magnesium alloy die-casting. General thin-walled castings using hot chamber die-casting machine, thick-walled castings using cold chamber die-casting machine.
(1) Magnesium hot alloy chamber die-casting machine, with high production efficiency, low pouring temperature, long injection life, easy to achieve melt protection and other characteristics. When die-casting magnesium alloy, the high-speed turbulent movement of the alloy liquid rushing to fill the die so that the gas in the cavity can not be discharged, will lead to tissue loosening and even the casting surface bulge or deformation. Die-casting process parameters such as pressure, speed, melt temperature, mould temperature, etc., significantly impact the casting performance. Magnesium alloy hot chamber die-casting machine is more suitable for producing some thin-walled and high appearance requirements of the parts, such as cell phones and palmtop computer shells. Still, because the magnesium alloy hot chamber die-casting machine is used to punch the magnesium alloy liquid directly through the closed gooseneck and nozzle press man metal model cavity, so the pressurization pressure is slight when the pressure injection, generally not suitable for automotive, aerospace and other large, thick wall, large load parts.
(2) Cold chamber die-casting machine. Each time the injection, first by hand or through the automatic quantitative feeder to inject magnesium into the injection sleeve, the casting cycle is longer than the hot chamber die-casting machine. Cold chamber die-casting machine features are high injection pressure, injection speed so that you can produce thin-walled parts, can also be thick-walled parts, adapt to a wide range; the die-casting machine can be large, and alloy type replacement is easy, can also be used with aluminium alloy in most cases, for large, thick-walled, stress and unique requirements of the die-casting machine using cold chamber die-casting production.
Main steps of the magnesium die casting process.
The ingot is heated to about 150°C. It is because the melt scoop furnace must use dry ingots. It is then added to the casting furnace and melted. An inert gas atmosphere prevents oxidation of the melt pool surface. The molten metal is kept at the specified temperature until it is fed into the plunger.
1. The required weight is delivered to the injection tube using positive pressure or feed tube.
2. The low heat content of molten magnesium requires a rapid first injection stage.
3. Mold cavity filling speed is faster than aluminium.
4. After a concise solidification, the mould can be opened and the casting removed.
Die-casting magnesium alloy applications
In terms of aerospace materials, structural weight reduction and load-bearing and functional integration is an essential direction for developing aircraft fuselage structural materials. Due to its low density and high strength characteristics, Magnesium makes it very early in the aviation industry to be applied. The economic benefits and performance improvement brought by the weight reduction of aviation materials are very significant.
Magnesium alloy light weight, good specific strength and stiffness, good vibration damping performance, electromagnetic interference shielding ability and other characteristics can meet the requirements of military products on weight reduction, noise absorption, shock absorption, and radiation protection.
Magnesium alloy used as automotive parts usually shows the following advantages.
(1) improve fuel economy comprehensive standards, and reduce emissions and fuel costs. According to estimates, 60% of the fuel used in the car is consumed in the car’s weight. The car each 10% weight reduction will reduce fuel consumption by 8%-10%;
(2) Weight reduction can increase the loading capacity and payload of the vehicle while also improving braking and acceleration performance;
(3) can significantly improve the vehicle noise and vibration phenomenon.
5、 3C field
3C products – Computer, Communication, Consum-erElectronicProduct (computer, communication, consumer electronics) is the fastest growing industry. Digital technology has led to the emergence of various digital products. Digital technology has led to the emergence of various digital products. Various portable products (such as PDA, cell phones, etc.) are made of magnesium alloy, and the most common 3C products that use magnesium alloy today are laptops. In 3C products towards the light, thin, short, small direction of the development trend, the application of magnesium alloy in recent years has been a continuous growth.
Contact V1Diecast Today To Get Your Magnesium Die Casting Products
V1Diecast’s magnesium die casting services are commonly used to manufacture high-quality parts throughout the medical industry, automotive and motorcycle parts, electronics, and more.
Contact us for more information on our precision die casting service options, or call, and we will be happy to assist you. V1 is your trusted source for different metal die casting services.